Monday, March 20, 2017

March 20th - Spring Time

Today marks the first day of Spring.  I really have not paid attention to this day in my lifetime, but with it being spring break, I guess I have more time to pay attention.  I do remember spring growing up.

This time of year was a time to get the baseball gloves out and golf clubs out.  I didn't usually get to the ball field or golf course, but would hit balls into the year or through a baseball up against the garage at a red dot that was in the strike zone.  I would  start the year out with a brand new baseball and by the end of the summer most of the seams would be busted and the cover would about fall off.  That is what happens when you throw a ball as hard as you can at a cinder brick wall with a red dot.  I got pretty good at throwing.

My brother and dad would be out working in the fields and I would help sometimes, but we really only had 2 tractors that could do the field work and I loved sports.  Once dinner was done, I would grab my worn ball and glove and go throw the ball against the wall.  The ball would come back just as fast as it went and the ground was rocks so I got pretty good at ground balls also.  After throwing the ball for a while I would always want to hit so I would go get my bat and toss the ball up in the air and hit the ball towards our cow pasture.  Lots of fun during those spring days.

Today I played catch with my oldest son Ben and tried to teach Cole some about catching and throwing also.  This will hopefully stick with them through their years and they will enjoy the game of baseball also.  They are both signed up for T-ball and machine pitch respectively.  So, hopefully the seeds of enjoyment have been planted.

No comments:

Post a Comment