Wednesday, March 1, 2017

March 1st - Day my path will change

Today is my first try at blogging my own thoughts of everyday life events for the Slice of Life writing challenge.  It is also the day that my wife and I find out if our baby will be a boy or a girl.  This event for me will change the path of my life for sure.

Currently, I am a father of 2 boys, one 8 years old and the other currently 4 years old, but his birthday is tomorrow so you will get to read more about him tomorrow.  (Yes, I will have a topic for tomorrow)  Today will determine if I'm a father of 3 boys in the future or if I'm a father of 2 boys and a girl.  I will be excited for either as long as we have a healthy baby.

Coming from a family of just 2 boys and me being the youngest I'm venturing into uncharted territory.  Either one of 3 boys that will be rough and tough, or one of little sister and hopefully brothers that will care and look out for her.  Dresses, Barbies and other girly items might be entering my house and lifestyle.  I will be up for all of it, but will I know what to do?

My wife coming from a family of 3 girls has been living in uncharted territory all along.  Raising boys can be quite different than girls and she has done great.  I would love for her to have a little daughter to share things I will never understand with her.

Going back to a little bit of history.  I was a Girls Basketball coach for a total of 5 years and I have been a teacher for going on 12 years in the high school setting, so I do have a little bit of experience with dealing with teenage girls.  But experience with younger girls I do not have.  My boys right now are easy for me to relate to and I can be real / hard on them and know it will help them become the men that I hope they become.

Do I do the same with a girl?  I don't know.

Do I spoil her more than my boys?  I don't know, but probably yes.

So, my life will most definitely change paths today.  I'm excited to find out and I hope to share in future posts this month.  Maybe a little more pink will be nice.

5 comments:

  1. I say girl-- girls are so much fun!!!! Let us know tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you!! I can't wait to hear. I don't think you need to be nervous...you're a natural!! Don't keep your great news a secret!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for a possibility of a girl! :) Boys are great, but little girls are so much fun in a very different way. And, honestly, there's something special about a little girl and her daddy. You can't go wrong either way!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for you, Nathan, and I can't wait to hear if you are having a boy or a girl! Thanks for joining Slice of Life this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet post!!! Definitely needs to be included in his/her baby book.

    ReplyDelete