Tuesday, March 13, 2018

March 13 - Planning Road Trip

Some people do not like to plan road trips or map out directions to places.  They rely on apple maps or google maps to plot their course and they just simply follow the course laid out for them.  Technology has made if very possible for someone to get a certain location with no ability to read a map.  Oh how times have changed.

I like to plan and map out directions to different locations.  I like using apple maps or google maps to get me started, but I always seem to zoom in and look at the course closely and make adjustments according to types of roads or if I want to park a certain place and so on.  This was instilled in me by my father.  When we would go on family vacations we would get the road atlas out and plot our course.  It was fun learning the differences between 4 lane interstates and state highways. 

Our family hardly ever flew so it was an adventure to take a trip places.  As my family prepares to travel I purchased an atlas for Ben and I to do the same thing.  Not sure if he will enjoy it, but I enjoy getting to look at the different town names and different highways.  We might just have to use it if we take a wrong turn and apple maps or google maps can not get us back on course.

Karen has become accustom to me being able to get us places with just knowing the general area I'm going.  She has also been on some long detours with me also, when there was no place to turn around.  I love going a different route home than the way we got to our destination.  I just enjoy the change of scenery.   

2 comments:

  1. Love this! I prefer mapping out my course as well. Reading the introduction, I was reminiscing of my childhood vacations and my dad showing me our route on a map. I credit my dad and maps to my knowledge of random little nothing towns. I'm happy to know I'm not the only one out there that still likes mapping my adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too was raised looking at road atlases and maps and even booklets from hotels that would be on the way. My mother always planned our trips by the map and the Super 8 booklet of hotels. I love planning our trips and instead of using the Super 8 booklet, I most generally will use Choice Hotels and the rewards! I still like to look through the road atlas and find the little towns along the way...you never know, something cool might have taken place there, somebody famous might have been born there or something could have been invented there. I always plot our trips and find unique places to stop. I even have friends plan their trips for them...maybe I'm on to something to do in my retirement days!!!

    ReplyDelete